A nice recipe from Réunion Island! The flavors of the islands sometimes warm our hearts during our harsh winters! To be served on a white rice with a choice of vegetables, the rougail makes it possible to incorporate sausages into a recipe. We suggest our range of European sausages for this recipe, either Toulouse, Octoberfest, Knackwurst or even Debreziner.
- 6 sausages (European or choice, this recipe will be appreciated with both Jamaican and Toulouse)
- 1 sliced onions
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (500ml diced tomato)
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 fresh garlic bulbs, chopped
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 hot pepper (to taste)
- salt to taste
- First heat the oil in a large saucepan. Brown the sausages for a few minutes, or until they are cooked.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Then add the spices and cook another minute, making sure to cover the sausages with the spice mixture.
- Add the tomato and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.